Our weekly roundup of top stories, favorite links from around the web, and list of what’s happening this weekend in Columbus – posted every Friday morning.
The most popular posts on Columbusight this week, make sure you’ve read these!
- Historic Madison’s and White-Haines Buildings to Undergo Mixed-Use Renovation – Downtown’s biggest eyesore is in line for a full historic renovation, after more than two decades of abandonment and neglect.
- COLUMBUSIGHTINGS: L&O SVU’s Chris Meloni Comes to Town – He came, he saw, and he took some awesome selfies. It seems safe to say Chris Meloni enjoyed his visit to Cbus.
- New Retail and Restaurant Space on Tap for E Chestnut St Downtown – Columbusight was the first outlet to break this news: a once-sleepy section of Downtown will soon be home to even more great places to eat, drink, and work.
Favorite Links from Around the Web
A lot happens in Columbus, and we can’t cover it all. These are a few of the links from other local sites which caught our attention this week.
- Artist inspired by, honored her city – Beloved local icon Aminah Robinson passed away last week at the age of 75. This Dispatch article offers the best and most thorough recollection of her life and legacy.
- ‘Sip and Stroll’ May Soon Be an Option at North Market – Proving that even a broken clock gets it right twice a day, the Ohio House this week passed legislation to allow the consumption of alcohol on-site at Columbus’ popular North Market. We’ll toast to that!
- Kahiki Veterans Opening Pacific-Themed Eatery – Of course nothing can compare to that legendary Polynesian paradise, the Kahiki, (which we ranked at #4 on our list of the top 10 Columbus books every resident should read), but a new restaurant in the Short North run by some of its former employees is worthy of attention in its own right. Tai Tiki’s grand opening is this Saturday.
What’s Happening This Weekend?!
Hard to believe that it’s already the last weekend in May! Below, we’ve curated a list of the biggest and best events going on in Cbus over the next few days.
We’ve also noted locations and times where applicable, and included links where you can get more details.
Any event you’re particularly looking forward to? Did we leave something out? Let us know in the comments below.
Friday, May 29th
- The popular local edition of ZombieWalk is back! Join the undead for a romp down High St, beginning at 5PM outside the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
- In Bexley, The Main Event is showing the kid-friendly movie Big Hero 6, on Capital University’s Main St lawn. Also including live music, human hamster balls, food trucks, and more, the event begins at 6:30PM.
- Local bands Conspiracy and The Randys are playing for free at Columbus Commons. The show starts at 7PM.
Saturday, May 30th
- The Rolling Stones are playing a much-anticipated show to tens of thousands of fans at Ohio Stadium. Things begin at 8PM, so be prepared for traffic gridlock in the area even if you’re not headed to the concert.
- Grandview kicks off their Summer Hop, with live music, activities, and local art showcased alongside the shops and restaurants on Grandview Ave. This special event runs all day.
- The Wexner Center’s popular contemporary art party, Off the Grid, is back for another year. Local DJs, electronic music, food, and drinks are highlights here – everything starts at 8PM.
Sunday, May 31st
- The Columbus Museum of Art, as always, has free admission today. Don’t miss the exhibition Fabric of Survival: The Art of Esther Nisenthal Krinitz, an autobiographical tale of surviving the holocaust illustrated through needle work collage – on view through June 14th.
- Even more must-see music as popular alt-folk bank The Decemberists headline a show at the LC Pavilion, doors open at 7PM.
- Shadowbox Live performs Which One’s Pink, their very own Pink Floyd tribute musical, at 2 and 7PM in their Brewey District space.
That’s it! Enjoy the weekend!
We’ll be posting up one or two new things this weekend, and then be back to daily next week! Trust us, there’s some exciting stuff coming up you won’t want to miss!
© Columbusight.com. All Rights Reserved.